Wednesday 2 February 2011

More Pallets Than You Can Throw A Stick At

Ooh, after a rather sloshy Janauary (bog dipping wasn't what I had in mind when we got the allotment, but that's what ya get when ya mix clay and rain), things are beginning to dry out down on the plot. Enough to get going building our super-duper compost bins at least - made from the finest pallets the Newham Wombles could come up with and part of a total delivery of 80.
I never thought I'd become the kind of person that gets excited about pallets, but neither did I think I'd ever find it impossible to pass a skip without having a good nosey to see if it contains anything that can be recycled for the veg plot. Oh my, how things change when you have potatoes chitting on your windowsill and nasturtiums to propagate. It's amazing what uses the pallets are put to - one of our more adventurous allotmenteers is using them to make a shed! B heroically tied ours together with some industrial strength string and we have one for general compost (veg waste that the worms can't cope with & overspill from our plastic composter at home which remains stubbornly compost free) and one for the bags of leaves we've had stacked in the garden for the last year - all good stuff.
We've also had a manure delivery down at t'ollotment, which caused an even greater stir than the pallets. I've really come to love horse poo. I know, this is the woman who won't leave the house unless her accessories are just-so, but now I'm as happy as the proverbial pig with my wellies, wheelbarrow and spade, rooting around for the ripe steamy stuff at the bottom of the pile. Horse poo is an absolute wonder and I highly recommend it.
We've also erected the posts and wires for our apple cordons, tied in the summer fruiting raspberries, drawn up a growing plan for this year and are all primed and ready for spring - lovely!
LxXx

No comments:

Post a Comment