Sunday 20 June 2010

Yurt Dining

It was my mate Sue's b-day on Saturday and we went to the Riverford Field Kitchen (currently based at the Freightliners Farm in Islington) for dinner. We get or weekly fruit and veg from Riverford and the quality and variety is excellent. We even have one of their herb box/storage units in our garden, which is designed to keep the produce cool. It's great and really does work.
The concept for dinner was a set three-course meal using their own organic produce and recipes. Scrubbed pine tables and benches seating 10 were placed in a custom made yurt around a wood burning stove . The crockery was a mismatched affair of bone china and the tea came in a proper cup and saucer - mine was white with a lovely gold leaf design and nearly disappeared into my bag at the end of the night. The staff were all really lovely too. I stuffed myself absolutely stupid with a selection of vegetable hummous, crudites and fresh bread to start, roast beetroot and carrots, cabbage with almonds, fennel and wet garlic gratin and new minted potatoes for the main course, finished off with old school rhubarb crumble and custard - my absolute favouritest thing in all the world. Scrummy. Lucky I've got a separate pudding stomach so I still had room. The only problem was that I was too stuffed to cycle back and had to get on the new overhead from Highbury and Islington!!
Before dinner we had a quick half where I came across this beermat.
LxXx

No comments:

Post a Comment