Tuesday 14 December 2010

Deck The Halls With. . . Fuzzy Felt?

This year (and as gardening is not the most lucrative job in the world if you're a one- woman- band) I've taken to making presents for people instead of buying them. Hopefully they appreciate the love and time that goes into each thing I make and forgive me for the fact that when I sew I create very kitsch items indeed!
Sewing holds fond memories of sitting with my mother and embroidering table cloths on a wooden frame and although I've got a lovely hi-tech sewing machine for cushion covers/curtains etc, I still make most things entirely or involving a lot of hand-sewing - I do love a nice bit of felt. At the moment I'm making Christmas decorations for some of my family and friends and am particularly pleased with my gift tag. I also like the Noel heart as it's quick and simple to produce. The tree and stuffed angel, however, involve a bit more fiddling about, but are a classics in waiting so Cath Kidston beware (pffffff, snort, guffaw).
I've made several items this year - a cycling sash, glasses case, bag with singling bird applique, a couple of clutch bags and a few blackberry cases in various colours and three rather smart cushion covers for the office/spare room. I don't think about it much, but I suppose I should feel fairly proud of myself as they're all my own designs and patterns and each one is unique. Oh well, if nothing else it keeps me out of trouble!
LxXx

No comments:

Post a Comment