Tuesday 16 March 2010

It's a Spade, Not an Earth Relocation Implement

It's 09:30 and I'm on the train from Paddington to Swindon after an unpleasant trip hefting my overnight bag on the tube. I really begrudge any journey that can't be done on my lovely bicycle Marjorie. I'm tired and thirsty and sitting in my wellies in a carriage full of 'ladies wot lunch' feeling completely lost. I really need to make a go of this gardening lark and don't really have any idea how. The only thing stopping me feeling completely sorry for myself is the sunshine.
I've always been an autumn girl but today for the first time I got the whole spring thing. I could feel the anticipation in the air this morning as I left the house. The garden's been weeded and mulched and the muscari are popping their beautiful purple flower heads above the manure. I feel truly blessed with my life - the only weak link in the chain is me. . . Anyway let's convert all that negative energy into pruning power. Nat & Ben have hired me to prune their garden back ready for the summer as it hasn't had a thorough going over for a couple of years. Two days of serious snipping and hacking should put me right. If you're green and have leaves beware the secateur wielding red head in the Hunters!
Two things I discovered this morning. One, the above heading, which was taken from a poster I saw at the station (think it was for insurance?) which made me laugh, but also serves as a reminder not to complicate matters. Two, don't cross your legs in a confined space (i.e. under the table on the train) whilst wearing wellies with buckles on the sides - owwww!
LxXx

No comments:

Post a Comment