Tuesday 18 May 2010

Another Garden, Another Lawn, Where Am I Going To. . . ?

OK, it's not exactly Elaine Paige or Barbara Dixon, but then I'm no singer as anyone who's heard me or been stuck in traffic next to me will testify hand on heart!
In April I de-weeded and seeded a lawn for Mr 122 and also bought the above plants (erysimum, marguerite & french lavender) for his back garden. I wasn't sure he'd take them as he doesn't like anything "fussy", but he loves the lavender and is very protective over it. Anyway, I went back to cut his lawns today and saw that the plants were doing really well - all flowering with the lavender full of bees. Unfortunately I can't say the same for his lawn.
The dandelions and green alkanet haven't returned in such profusion, which is good as I did spend a lot of time on my knees with a hand spade and weed knife (grrrrrr!) and the grass seed has started to take in most places. The only problem was that the rest of the grass was 6" high. Again, this meant a hand cut before mowing. Actually, if I'm completely honest I like getting the shears out and having a good splice at the grass - it tempers any destructive impulses just like pruning.
Mr 122 has promised me a once fortnightly mowing visit plus any weeding, sweeping etc., so hopefully I can keep on top of it and give him the lawn he really wants and a nice place for his baby daughter to play. He has three daughters and a lovely wife who all make me feel really welcome, which is really cool and Mr 122 makes me afternoon tea - bless.
LxXx

No comments:

Post a Comment