Friday 5 August 2011

A New Project

Today I got myself a new project slightly different from my usual weeding and mowing jobs. The owner of this property wants a totally contemporary space (most of my regular clients have more traditional gardens) and I've been asked to come up with some planting ideas for the back section of the garden.
The side beds will be occupied by large stainless steel planters and the client wants some stunning architectural plants for the back bed. The existing trees are being kept so any planting will have to fit around and under them so shrubs are the obvious solution. I've also suggested a statue or large stainless steel structure be placed at the top of the central steps to fit in with the side planters (shame to remove the bag of bark chips but needs must). As the bed slopes forward there is the issue of soil migrating onto the astroturf (yep that grass is fake. . . !) so the client has agreed to raise the small front retaining wall by a few centimetres to contain the new topsoil and compost that we'll add before planting in the autumn. The only real problem will be getting through the existing tree roots deep enough to plant.
As for the planting I'm going to have to give that some thought over the next couple of weeks and make some recommendations, so any suggestions would be welcome. Evergreen, architecturally interesting & no thorns - flowers, colour and visual impact a must. Hmmmmm. . . Will let you know what I come up with.
LxXx

No comments:

Post a Comment